Salad of Orange, Fennel and Roasted Beets with Candied Pecans
4 oz Butter Lettuce or other Salad Greens
1 fennel bulb, sliced thinly
2 beets, roasted, peeled, sliced
2 oranges, supremed, juice reserved
2 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp sherry vinegar
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 c candied pecans
- Drizzle sliced beets with sherry vinegar. Set aside.
- Peel and segment the oranges, reserving the membranes & juice.
- In large bowl, add lettuce, fennel, orange segments, beets and pecans. Drizzle with olive oil. Squeeze membranes over salad to release juice and add any reserved juice. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Toss and adjust seasonings as necessary.
To Roast Beets:
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Trim stem ends of beets and place in oven proof dish. Add water to cover bottom. Cover tightly with foil or lid; place into oven.
- Roast 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until tender when pierced with knife. Cool.
- Peel skins off with paring knife, peeler or fingers. Keep refrigerated until use.
To “Candy” Pecans:
- Preheat oven to 300°
- Sprinkle pecans in even layer on baking sheet. Roast in oven approx. 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
- In mixing bowl, drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle salt & cinnamon sugar on pecans & toss.