2.03.2011

Time Flies

Wow!  Time has flown by since I last posted anything.  School, holidays, and oh yeah - the kids - just keep things going at a fast clip.  I had a few minutes to peruse the cookbook section in a local bookstore the other day.  I was SO excited to find the new Blackbird Bakery cookbook!  I had heard about Karen Morgan and her gluten free bakery several years ago when dining at Il Sole in Los Angeles.  Great things come from her bakery!  The photos in the book are simply gorgeous too!  So naturally the book came home with me to start trying out her recipes.

One of the most used flours in Ms. Morgan's book is "glutinous rice flour."  With all of the gluten free books and recipes that I've read, I was not familiar with glutinous rice flour.  So off to Whole Foods, Sprouts, Trader Joe's I went in search of this mysterious product.  No luck.  I turned to google.  Sweet rice flour - that's all it is.  Off to the Asian market next as Morgan recommends.  I must say, having used sweet rice flour from Trader Joe's previously, I wasn't sure if I was on the right track.  I find it to be gritty, like a touch of fine sand mixed into your cookie.  I don't know what brand Morgan uses, but what I found at the Asian market left me with the same grittiness in the cookies.  Next up, I'll try the same recipe with a different flour mix.  Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment