Batch after batch of gluten free chocolate chip cookies, I tried to find the “perfect” recipe, one that could pass for the “real thing” with all the kids, big and small. I tested many different recipes, using guar gums or xanthum gums, baking powder or baking soda, salted butter or unsalted butter, and differing quantities of everything. It became the Cookie War, Chewy vs. Crunchy! In my recipe showdown, it came down to one thing – the flour used.
For you crunchy cookie lovers, use the rice flour combo. This gave the cookie more rise, crisper texture, good flavor and aroma, yet the mouthfeel still had a bit of the grittiness associated with rice flours.
And for you chewy cookie lovers, use the sorghum flour combo. The sorghum flour adds an earthy aroma & flavor, no grittiness in the mouthfeel, and cooks faster. Either way, this recipe won approval from all my tasters.
So here’s the scoop – I am giving it to you BOTH ways!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
¾ cup brown sugar
¾ cup Evaporated Cane Juice Sugar
1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
1 tsp. GF vanilla
Rice Flour Combo OR Sorghum Flour Combo
1 ½ cup glutinous rice flour 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill GF Flour
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill GF Flour ½ cup sorghum flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp guar gum
¼ tsp cream of tartar
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375.°
- Cream sugars and butter. Add vanilla and mix.
- Combine flours, baking soda, salt, guar gum & cream of tartar. Sift together. Add to sugar/ butter mixture. Mix at low speed until crumbly.
- Add eggs, beat until light and fluffy.
- Add chocolate chips and stir.
- Using a #40 scoop (3/4 oz), drop dough 2 inches apart onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat.
- For Rice Combo, bake approx. 13 minutes.
- For Sorghum Combo, bake approx. 9 minutes.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet before removing to cooling rack.
Take our poll! Which do you prefer, Chewy or Crunchy???