2.17.2013

Fish In Crazy Water

I had a funny conversation with one of my brothers recently.  He is the cook in his house and he has boys too.  He usually asks the kids what they would like for Sunday family dinners and usually makes what they ask for.  Always the same roast beef dinner.  Well of course, they aren't going to ask for something that they haven't been introduced to.  Same thing in my house.  But I love trying new recipes!  With a bunch of boys and their finicky palates, culinary adventures can be tricky.  I usually just slip one new thing in with a bunch of old favorites to see if they'll go for it or not.  Sometimes it works...   

My sweet husband and I decided to stay in for dinner on Valentine's Day. Going out always poses issues for me with the fixed menus so often offered on "holidays."  They don't tend to have gluten free options.  So I went for it.  I tried all new recipes!  I am happy to report - with great success.  

Naturally, my menu was all fresh and mostly Italian.  I found this fish recipe in the March 2013 issue of Food and Wine.  Red Snapper wasn't available at my local Whole Foods market, so I substituted halibut.  I served mine without the bread, of course, and topped it with fresh shaved Grana Padano.  We all enjoyed it.  Hope you do too!!!




FISH IN CRAZY WATER
Pesce All’Acqua Pazza by Marcella Hazan
Food and Wine, March 2013 

Serves 4

1 ½ lbs ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped, juices reserved
¼ c EVOO
3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 Tbs minced parsley
1/8 tsp chopped fresh red chili, or to taste
Salt
4 c water
4 red snapper fish fillets, skin on, 6 oz each
4 slices grilled sourdough bread

1.     In a large, deep skillet, combine tomatoes, EVOO, garlic, parsley, chili, pinch of salt & water.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium and simmer 45 minutes.
2.     Uncover skillet and bring tomato water to a boil.  Reduce liquid to half.  Add fish, skin side up, and cook for 2 minutes.  Gently lift fillets with spatulas and turn.  Season fish with salt and simmer until cooked through.
3.     Place bread in shallow bowls.  Arrange fish across bread and spoon broth on top.  Serve.

Eat Happy!
Carolyne

No comments:

Post a Comment